Do you have a new PowerPoint presentation to design?
Keep in mind, it’s critical that your presentation slides capture your audience's attention.
A great way to do that is to use eye-catching PowerPoint animations.
If you’re unsure of how to make your PowerPoint animations look professional, then this article is for you. Today you’ll learn what the most popular PowerPoint animation features are and how to use them right.
Then, we'll dig into a trove of the best premium animated PowerPoint templates you can buy. Premium PowerPoint templates come with built-in slide effects that'll help you get professional results quickly. They’re a good choice when you need to make a polished presentation.
But, if you're on a tight budget, you can still get some good results. I also share a list of over 16 free animated PowerPoint templates.
What PowerPoint Animations Are Available and How Are They Used?
PowerPoint slide animations cause objects and words on your slides to move. They also help you transition quickly between your slides and control the pace of your presentation.
There are a wide variety of animation effects available in PowerPoint. You may not be sure how animations are used. Typically, animation effects are used in three ways:
- Entrance animations. An entrance animation is applied as text or an object is added to a slide. Examples of this include: fade-in, fly-in, float-in, random bars, and more. The following animation is from the Spectacular PowerPoint animated template available on GraphicRiver:
- Emphasis. The purpose of emphasis animation is to draw attention to an object or text. Examples include: spin, bold flash, wave, and more. The illustration below is one of the PowerPoint animated slides available from the premium DIY Animated Promo Kit template:
- Exit animations. An exit animation is applied as an object is removed from a slide. Examples of this include: fade-out, fly-out, float-out, wheel, and more. Here's an example of an exit animation from the premium Sketch PowerPoint template:
Animation-like effects can also be applied to entire slides in the form of transitions between slides. Common transition effects include:
- random bars
- and many more!
No matter what type of PowerPoint slide animation you're using, the purpose is the same: to add visual interest to your presentation and to attract the attention of your audience.
Learn More About How to Use Animations in PowerPoint:
- Microsoft PowerPointHow to Add Animations to Your PowerPoint PresentationsAndrew Childress
- OfficeHow to Control PowerPoint Animation with the Animation PaneBob Flisser
If you're creating a slideshow with animations, you could design it from scratch. The tutorials above will help. But that could take some time. And your presentation might not end up looking how you want it to look.
A much better option is to use a premium service such as Envato Elements or GraphicRiver for your presentation to download PowerPoint animation templates. You'll save time and the presentation templates are created by professional designers, so you know it'll look good.
Why Use a Premium Presentation Template?
Envato Elements gives you unlimited access to hundreds of templates for PowerPoint slides and you also gain access to many other helpful design elements as well such as stock photos, WordPress themes, vector graphics, and more.
Your Envato Elements subscription even gets you access to over 1,000 Tuts+ video courses.
Here's a look at a few of the professional PowerPoint slide templates you'll find on Envato Elements:
Great Animated PowerPoint Templates (Premium) From Envato Elements
If you're reading this article, it's probably because you're looking for free PowerPoint templates with animation. Those are certainly available and some are good. In fact, I share the best ones I've found later in this post.
However, if you're serious about making a lasting impact and projecting a professional image, then premium templates are a better option. Here are some of the advantages of premium templates:
- They're more likely to have been produced better.
- They work the way they're supposed to.
- They include more slide variations.
- The creators update them, as needed, to continue to be editable in PowerPoint.
- Some premium template designers even provide after-sales support, so they're available if you've got questions or run into any problems in using the templates.
If you need some inspiration to help you find the right premium PowerPoint template, here are some good options from Envato Elements. Each one is professionally designed and includes PowerPoint slide animation elements.
This clean PowerPoint template includes easy-to-edit animations and transitions as well as objects with custom animation. You'll get over three dozen modern, creative slides. It's based on master slides to help you with presentation consistency. Some of the slide types included are:
- section break slides
- handcrafted infographic
- portfolio or gallery slide
- device mockup (smartphone, tablet, laptop)
- and more!
There are lots of advantages to using the Hero v1 template. First and foremost, you'll get lots of choices with this professionally designed PowerPoint template—there are a hundred unique slides. Also, choose between ten color variations. Plus, there are 20 PPTX files of full animations for a 16:9 aspect ratio.
Don't overlook this fully animated PowerPoint template. The template name may be Corporate Presentation, but the template is suitable for many different types of presentations. This modern template comes with:
- animation and transitions
- based on free fonts
- based on master pages
- 70 different slides
- and more!
The Crystal PowerPoint presentation template is an attractive, professional template that includes animations and transitions. There are 77 different slides that you can use in your presentation. Plus, it's based on free fonts to save you money. Also, there are infographic elements, charts, graphs, maps, and icons.
The Arezzo PowerPoint Presentation template has an elegant look that'll be an asset to your presentation no matter what you plan to use it for. It's fully animated with many creative multipurpose slides to base your slideshow on. It also works with three different aspect rations (16:9, 4:3 and US Letter). It's easy to update, but the included PDF help guide file will get you started quickly. Don't overlook this one!
More Great Premium PowerPoint Animation Templates (From GraphicRiver)
If you're interested in a one-time PowerPoint slide animation template download, you can also find attractive, professional PowerPoint templates on GraphicRiver.
GraphicRiver is a pay-per-use marketplace of creative elements, including templates for PowerPoint animated slides. Each template is available for a small one-time fee, which means you don't have to commit to a subscription.
GraphicRiver offers over 3,600 PowerPoint templates with animation. Below are a few examples of what's available:
With its colorful, fun graphics and dynamic animations, this animated template for PowerPoint truly is spectacular. Check it out if you want a PowerPoint presentation that has the look of an explainer video.
You can edit, not only the text, but also the shapes and colors. The 24 slide layouts include product features, world map, call to action, and photo gallery. Most importantly, the animations are truly eye-catching and smooth. Small wonder, then, that this new template is already getting rave reviews!
If you want color and motion to showcase your best photographs, then the Keep PowerPoint Presentation Template is your top choice. You've got 50 theme color schemes to choose from—or you can easily create your own.
Over 70 slide layouts cover everything you could possibly need in your PowerPoint presentation, including title slides, bullet slides, device mockups, and numerous charts and tables. If you'll be using the charts, then you'll be pleased to know that you can upload your data from Microsoft Excel.
This template uses Master Slides, which makes customizing fonts, colors, and other repetitive elements fast and easy.
With this template, you'll look like a savvy video animator, even though you've only used PowerPoint!
This kit includes 100 slides with two color themes: white and colored. You can edit all the shapes and icons used on the slides. You can even mix-and-match the 100+ icons included to create your own custom animated slides.
The creator is also very responsive to questions from purchasers. DIY Animated Promo Kit is another five-star PowerPoint animated template on GraphicRiver.
9. Six Template
The Six Template features custom animated pages and transitions. It comes with pre-built color themes with bright or dark skins. There are also six section break slides and an interactive portfolio slide. There are placeholders for your own images and videos, which makes this slideshow easy to customize.
This attractive slideshow template is suitable for many different types of presentations. Not only do you get easy-to-edit slide designs, but there are also custom animations to help your presentation stand out. It's designed for two different common aspect ratios (4:3 &16:9). The template also includes free support.
Are you looking for a simple, modern PowerPoint template? The Grid PowerPoint Template with its easy-to-edit slides just may fit the bill. This attractive template works well for a variety of presentation needs. The template includes:
- custom animation
- 32 different slide designs
- 7 color options
- a help file
This versatile fully animated PowerPoint template is as eye-catching as it's useful. It supports four aspect ratios (4:3, 16:9, 16:10, and A4). There are also 400 unique slides, choose between light and dark versions. You can easily edit any of these slides to add your own unique information and images for a powerful presentation.
This cute animated PowerPoint template is based on the idea of a blackboard. The hand-drawn elements (over 30 of them) make this one truly unique. There are also 32 unique slides, so you're bound to find the slide designs you need. If you want your presentation to really stand out, there's nothing quite like the Sketch PowerPoint template.
16+ Free Animated PowerPoint Templates
If your budget is tight you may be thinking about getting a free animated PowerPoint template. While getting a PowerPoint template for free can save you money, a free PowerPoint template download may also be more limited in the number of features they offer. Plus, remember that if the free template came with your software, everyone will have access to it.
But, if you have to, using a free animated PowerPoint template can provide you with the animated slide design you need. The templates that come with PowerPoint are a good place to start when you're looking for free animated PowerPoint slide templates, so let's take a look at a few of those.
Free Animated PowerPoint Templates From Microsoft
First, let's explore some animated templates that come with Microsoft PowerPoint. Depending on which version of MS PowerPoint you're using, you probably got these templates when you installed PowerPoint.
To find the default PowerPoint template slides, open PowerPoint and you should see some of the templates you've used recently, including default templates. Scroll up and down to find a template you like.
You can also search for templates using the Search bar to find specific types of templates:
To apply a template, click on it to see a description. Then click Create to open the template. Here are some of the free animated templates that come with PowerPoint:
1. Animate Title Spirals. This presentation cover slide template features a purple background and moving spirals.
2. Animated Infographic Slides. This PowerPoint template also features moving objects on the title slide. It comes with a total of three slide designs.
3. Animated Tree Growth Graphic. The objects on this nature-themed cover slide template are animated.
4. Animated Title Clouds. Watch the gray storm clouds float across this title slide.
5. Animated Scale Graphic. This unique PowerPoint template comes with a master slide and a moving scale graphic.
6. Timeline Progression Course. This red and black PowerPoint template includes five slide designs with animation on each slide.
7. Animated Title Geometric. Here's a modern-looking animated title slide template featuring brightly-colored squares.
8. Powerful Presentations. This PowerPoint template comes with an animated cover slide and 16 additional slide designs.
9. Animated Gauge Graphic. This gauges actually turn on this animated graphic for PowerPoint.
10. Animated Title Lights. This title slide template features moving lights in the background as the title text appears on the slide.
11. Animated Title Circles. This is a colorful PowerPoint presentation cover slide that features moving circles.
12. Animated Grass Slide. This nature-inspired PowerPoint title slide features a moving background of a field of grass.
Additional Free Animated PowerPoint Templates
There are other sources for free animated PowerPoint templates, of course. Here are some of the sources we found:
Here's a list of more free animated PowerPoint templates:
13. Animated Vital Signs. This animated PowerPoint template could be used for a medical presentation.
14. Happy Holidays. This free PowerPoint template shows snowflakes moving across a blue background.
15. Lead Generation Model. This animated funnel slide illustrates the lead-to-sales process.
16. Animated Medical Template. This animated template simulates a vital signs reading in red on a white background.
17. Heart Cardiogram Animated Template. Here's another medical-themed animated PowerPoint template.
More PowerPoint Presentation Templates
If you're still looking for the perfect PowerPoint presentation template for your slideshow, here are some roundups of great templates to inspire you:
- Microsoft PowerPoint18 Animated PowerPoint Templates With Amazing Interactive SlidesSean Hodge
- Microsoft PowerPoint25 Medical PowerPoint Templates: For Amazing Health PresentationsSean Hodge
- Microsoft PowerPoint18+ Cool PowerPoint Templates (To Make Presentations in 2018)Laura Spencer
If you'd like to learn how to create your own cool animations in PowerPoint, study this tutorial:
Download Our Free PDF eBook on Making Great Presentations
We've got the perfect complement to any PowerPoint template that'll help you learn how to write, design, and deliver great presentations.
Grab The Complete Guide to Making Great Presentations now for FREE with a subscription to the Tuts+ Business Newsletter. Get your ideas formed into a powerful presentation that'll move your audience.
Use a PowerPoint Presentation Template to Save Time
We've just shared some of the best animated PowerPoint template resources—both free and premium. You've also learned how PowerPoint slide animations can strengthen your presentation and how some of the most popular animation features are used.
Hopefully, you've found what you need to give your presentation an extra edge.
Good luck with your presentation!
Editorial Note: This post was originally published in 2018. It has been comprehensively revised to make current, accurate, and up to date by our staff—with special assistance from Lexi Rodrigo.