Keynote backgrounds might fall behind your content, but that doesn't mean they're forgettable. Pair your content with excellent Keynote presentation backgrounds for eye-catching presentations.
With the help of Keynote presentation backgrounds in templates, it's easier to balance content with backgrounds. The templates in this article will help you do just that!
In this article, we'll show you 20 free Keynote presentations with great backgrounds. You'll also see advanced options for unlimited premium downloads Keynote presentation backgrounds on Envato Elements. Plus, see pay-as-you-go Keynote background templates on GraphicRiver.
The Best Keynote Templates on Envato Elements (With Unlimited Use)
When you're creating a Keynote presentation, you need the help of templates. Instead of building your designs from scratch, start with a template to save you time and effort.
You might be tempted to go searching for free Keynote templates for designers. We've got an even better option for Keynote presentation backgrounds.
Envato Elements is an amazing, all-you-can-download library for creatives. It includes unlimited access for a flat rate. Unlock Keynote presentation backgrounds inside of templates that far outpace free Keynote templates.
If you want the best Keynote presentation backgrounds, Envato Elements is the best option. Source unlimited Keynote presentations, then add to them with stock photos. Your subscription includes both. And both work as Keynote backgrounds, as you'll see.
No matter how often you're presenting, a subscription to Envato Elements is an unbeatable value. Before you search for free Keynote templates for designers, check out these premium options. Subscribe today to unlock more than a million assets.
5 Top Keynote Backgrounds in Top Templates on Envato Elements for 2020
The templates in this section focus on great Keynote backgrounds. They lead the pack with cool Keynote backgrounds that free Keynote templates just can't compare to.
Remember, they're all included with Envato Elements! Here are three ways to build good Keynote backgrounds with the help of these templates:
Photo placeholders that are ready for background images to create eye-catching slides
- Eye-catching solid colors with attractive schemes that complement the content
Patterns and layouts that balance Keynote backgrounds with the content on the slides
Keynote backgrounds don't have to cover the entire slide. This template is a perfect example of that. Many of the slides use "partial cover" backgrounds that complement your content. Use the 40 clean slides with ready-to-use designs to build an excellent presentation.
Digital magazines harken back to the fancy layouts of their printed counterparts. And thanks to this Keynote template, you can easily create one with engaging backgrounds. Use it to put together a cohesive story with the help of the built-in designs. Many of them already include appealing Keynote presentation backgrounds.
Free Keynote templates just don't include a hand painted look like this one. Keynote presentation backgrounds like this one won't go unnoticed thanks to a unique and splashy design. Watercolors are a great way to frame artistic and creative content. Use these Keynote background templates for a presentation that stands out.
Many of the slides in this template use stylish gradients for great Keynote presentation backgrounds. Better yet, it also includes the custom image masks that balance content with eye-catching Keynote backgrounds. Use the high-resolution designs on 54 unique slides for a modern presentation.
A look book is perfect as a quick-turning presentation for fashion brands. With the help of a template like this, you've got Keynote backgrounds that complement your images. The slides feature perfectly faded imagery fit for Keynote presentation backgrounds. Just fill in your details!
5 of the Best Premium Keynote Backgrounds in Templates on GraphicRiver for 2020
You don't always need unlimited access. Sometimes a single Keynote presentation with a great background is enough.
For those occasions, you can use GraphicRiver, another site in the Envato Market Network. Buy unique, pay-as-you-go Keynote presentation backgrounds you choose.
Let's check out five of the best Keynote presentation templates—all with amazing backgrounds!
The best Keynote backgrounds complement your content. Verzus is the perfect example of this because most sides have dimmed backgrounds. That ensures that you don't obscure or overshadow your slide content. Use the 350 unique slides to show your content with style.
Modern design trends use slick custom image masks. Those masks, included in this template, transform your ordinary, rectangular imagery into stunning shapes. And they work well as backgrounds because they leave space on your slide where text falls in.
With 195 well-designed slides, Athena is a modern Keynote presentation. It leans on slide designs that prioritize eye-catching backgrounds. It's another template that contains custom masks for creative image shaping as a background layer.
A template like Earth is all about imagery. It's perfect for nature or geographic presentations that bring the outdoors, indoors. And of course, all the Keynote backgrounds are easy to customize thanks to easy drag-and-drop options.
Chalkboards are the background for many of my best memories of learning. With the help of this template, you can use one as your Keynote presentation background! This is an education-ready Keynote template with an excellent backdrop for education and more.
20 Free Keynote Presentations With Great Backgrounds
Before looking for free Keynote templates on the web, check Envato's free offerings first. Try out various premium template files (not always templates or backgrounds for Keynote) at no cost to you.
Here's the deal:
Every month Envato Elements offers 12 different hand-selected files, (fonts, presentations, videos, and more). Create a free account to download this month's free premium files now.
Or try Envato Market for free. They offer seven handpicked monthly freebies. Log in with your Envato Market account to get this month's handpicked premium freebies.
If you don't find what you're looking for above, you may have to find a free Keynote template on the internet.
These templates are good enough for simple presentations. They all have Keynote backgrounds in templates that are ready for use. When your budget is zero, these might do the trick. Here are 20 of the best Keynote backgrounds in templates:
1. Free Apple Keynote Template - Timeline. Use this free Keynote background for business or school projects. Easily create timelines for specific project dates, percentage increases, or numbers.
2. Free Minimal Keynote Template. Create a personal or designer portfolio with this Keynote background. The design is modern and straightforward. Plus, the template includes 450 vector icons as shapes.
3. Balance - Free Minimal PowerPoint and Keynote Template. This bright and colorfully designed template is professional and creative. Add your text and images to it by using the drag and drop placeholders. The 18+ slides in this Keynote presentation background are print-ready.
4. Creative Keynote Template. The Creative Keynote Template is a clean and artistic Keynote background. Geometric graphics are a featured part of the design. The slides in this cool Keynote background are fully editable.
5. Free ProBusiness Keynote Presentation Template. Clean and modern design are the focus of this business Keynote background template. Drag and drop placeholders and icons as vectors are included.
6. 42 Free Slides for PowerPoint/Keynote and Google Slides. These robust and vibrant Keynote background designs are well suited for business. Change the Keynote slide background color. Both light and dark versions are included.
7. Free Keynote Template. As the name implies, this template is a solid choice for free Keynote templates for designers. Use your Keynote background image with the easy placeholders.
8. Zane Free PowerPoint Template. While the title mentions PowerPoint, Zane is also designed for use in Keynote. The colorful and modern design of this Keynote presentation background makes it a stylish choice for business presentations.
9. Business Ideas - Free Keynote Template. The Business Ideas Keynote background features fun and colorful design. The infographics are modern. Slides in this Keynote presentation background contain plenty of space for your text.
10. X - Free PowerPoint and Keynote Template. X has a minimal but creative design that's perfect for professional presentations. Free fonts, drag and drop placeholders, and resizable vector and shape elements are included in this Keynote background template.
11. Free Modern Keynote Template. Easily add your data to this Keynote background template. The 23 modern and clean slides feature soft colors and geometric borders.
12. Simplistic Keynote Theme - Free. Bright and satiny tones are featured in this Keynote background template. Modern infographics help illustrate the data you're presenting, like product information or data assessments.
13. Prototype Presentation Design. Use the Prototype Keynote background for personal or professional use thanks to its clean design. Animated and non-animated slides are included. Each of the 39 slides is in full HD resolution.
14. Free Simple Keynote Template. This cool Keynote background features lots of icons and layouts. The simple design of this Keynote background template makes it great for personal or professional use.
15. Free Keynote Tree Diagram. This cool Keynote background features a whimsical tree and outdoor theme. Tree diagrams are on these slides so you can easily present your information in a fun way.
16. The Press Free Keynote Template. The Press is a multipurpose Keynote background thanks to its clean and stylish aesthetic. It features 16 unique slides. Change the Keynote slide background color easily.
17. Scratchy Burnout. The soft yellow and red theme of this cool Keynote background is excellent for creative and artistic presentations. Pictures and text can easily be inserted to create your next presentation.
18. Punaca Free Keynote Template. Punaca is a fun and playful Keynote background template. Use the drag and drop placeholders to add your content to this cool Keynote background. All graphics are resizable and editable.
19. Free Keynote template: Material. Use the wavy background in this free Keynote template for a different design style than the built-in templates. It includes 11 unique slides.
20. Duotone Free Keynote Template. This is a free Keynote template for designers with a two-tone color effect. Use the included Photoshop action to prepare images in the proper style. It also features drag-and-drop placeholders to updates images easily.
How to Quickly Customize Keynote Templates with Cool Backgrounds
The best thing about cool Keynote background templates is their unmatched flexibility. In short, they make all kinds of content look great. That means creative control is left up to you. Follow these five simple steps to build your own amazing slides using Keynote backgrounds.
For this short tutorial, we used the Look Book Keynote template from Envato Elements.
Let's get started:
1. Select Your Slides
Captivating Keynote background templates like this include a wide variety of custom slides. Think about your message and choose only the slides that fit best. In Keynote, click the View button in the upper left, then choose Light Table.
Hold down Shift on your keyboard to select slides you don’t want, then press Delete. When you’re finished, click on View again, and then Navigator to return to the normal view.
2. Customize Slide Text
Customizing slide text is an essential step. Better yet, it’s one of the easiest. In cool Keynote backgrounds like this, each text element lives inside its own text box.
To change text, simply highlight the text inside. Then begin typing in your own words. Start with the title of this slide, then repeat the same steps in the subtitle text box below.
3. Change Fonts and Text Styles
Template backgrounds for Keynote typically come with their own custom fonts. But you don’t have to use them. Instead, you can change font designs, colors, sizes, and more!
To get started, highlight any text box. Then click Format. On the Text sidebar, you’ll see a wide variety of drop-downs and buttons for all these options.
4. Change Background Object Colors
Keynote backgrounds are meant to add visual interest and contrast. One way to amplify this positive effect is to partially change a background color. Consider the circle backdrop on this slide. To change it, click on the shape to select it.
On the Style sidebar in the Format tab, click the Color Fill drop-down. A color wheel will appear. There, quickly choose any color of the rainbow and apply it to the shape.
5. Add Images
The gray box on the slide is an image placeholder. That’s a pre-built location where you can insert your photos. It’s super easy. Browse to an image file on your computer, then click and drag it onto the placeholder.
That’s all it takes. Keynote automatically imports the photo and scales it perfectly. It’s one of the best ways to add more visual appeal to your Keynote backgrounds.
Hopefully, this quick tutorial piqued your interest in using cool Keynote backgrounds to build stunning presentations in 2020. Learn to work with Keynote background templates at an even deeper level with these tutorials.
- PresentationsHow to Make a Great Presentation in Keynote With Template DesignsSven Lenaerts
- KeynoteHow to Add Pictures & Backgrounds in Keynote PresentationsAndrew Childress
More Keynote Template Resources
You've seen free Keynote templates for designers, plus premium options for designs with great Keynote presentation backgrounds. Yet, this is just the beginning because there's so many Keynote templates you can use.
If the free Keynote templates (or pro options) left you wanting more, make sure to check out these articles with even more designs. Many of them include even more Keynote presentation backgrounds.
- Presentations34 Best Keynote Presentation Templates (Designs For Mac Users 2020)Sean Hodge
- Keynote40 Modern Keynote Templates to Create Beautiful Presentation Designs 2020Laura Spencer
- Keynote30 Animated Keynote Templates to Make Cool Captivating Presentations in 2020Brenda Barron
Common Keynote Questions Answered (FAQ)
It's okay if you still have questions. While pro options and free Keynote templates for designers are helpful, there's always more to learn. Maybe you've made the switch recently from PowerPoint and need more knowledge.
Here are five of the top questions we get from beginners. They're perfectly complementary to the cool Keynote backgrounds included in our templates.
1. How Can You Share With Non-Keynote Users?
Keynote is a macOS and iOS app. That means that there will be a considerable percent of your users who don't have access to edit the presentation. It helps to convert your Keynote to a PowerPoint or PDF format file.
This tip works with free Keynote templates and advanced options too. Convert your presentation to PowerPoint to bridge the gap to PPTX users.
2. Can You Share Keynote Presentations Online?
It's not always possible to pull everyone together for a meeting. In those cases, it's ideal to share and stream a presentation instead of using a helpful Keynote feature.
Learn to use Keynote Live, a tool to stream your presentation, with the help of this tutorial. You can stream your presentation, including those built with Keynote background templates.
3. What Are Keynote's Unique Features?
If you're weighing a switch to Keynote, you might be wondering what features to check out. Keynote's ease-of-use is a leading reason, but don't miss out on advanced features like Magic Move, too.
Magic Move is this slick hybrid between animations and slide transitions. It's also a perfect complement to the Keynote presentation backgrounds you saw to create stylish and attention-capturing presentations. Learn more here:
4. How Can You Collaborate in Keynote?
Two sets of eyes are always better than one when designing a presentation. Collaboration just makes good sense, and it's easy in Apple Keynote. Bring others into the presentation and work together in real-time.
Learn to share and collaborate in our tutorial below. Your collaborators might even have ideas for Keynote presentation backgrounds!
5. Should I Use Keynote or PowerPoint?
As we've discussed in prior tips, Keynote and PowerPoint each have unique features. So, which one should you use?
The choice will be different depending on your needs. There's no single best tool (although I'm partial to Keynote's easy interface). Learn more about the benefits and disadvantages of each in this article:
Learn More About How to Use Apple Keynote
Whether you've chosen free Keynote templates for designers or an advanced premium option, there's always more to learn.
We've put together a guide that you're sure to benefit from. It's called How to Use Apple Keynote (Ultimate Tutorial Guide) and it's got every resource you need. There are even tips to work with backgrounds for Keynote. Here are three of our top tutorials from the guide:
- KeynoteWhat Is Apple Keynote Software? +How to Start Using It to Make PresentationsSven Lenaerts
- KeynoteHow to Use Keynote Slides (Layout Dimensions, Sizes, & Design)Andrew Childress
- KeynoteHow to Add Animations in Apple Keynote (Complete Guide)Andrew Childress
5 Tips to Make Keynote Presentations With Great Slide Backgrounds
Still hungry for more info on Keynote backgrounds? Let's look at five top tips to help you create Keynote presentation backgrounds that balance perfectly with your content.
Don't miss out on other content to help you build your best presentation yet. Make sure to check out our tutorial series, How to Use Apple Keynote (Ultimate Tutorial Guide.)
1. Fade the Background
No matter what you choose for your Keynote backgrounds, they've got to follow one principle: don't interfere with the content. A background should complement the content, not overshadow it.
It helps to fade an image so that your content is more visible. With an image selected, choose the Format menu, and pull the Opacity slider down to fade the image.
2. Adjust Your Image - Inside of Keynote!
You might be tempted to immediately jump to Photoshop or another app to adjust your images. Instead, consider that Keynote has a few basic image adjustment tools like cropping and exposure tweaks.
Use our tutorial below to learn more about Keynote's built-in image adjustment tools:
3. Use Custom Image Masks
In many of the templates we've shared, slides include custom image masks. That means that you can take an ordinary, rectangular image and transform it into a fancy shape.
Custom image masks work well as Keynote backgrounds. That's because they help you cover only part of your slide. That leaves plenty of room for content.
4. Contrast Is King
There's nothing worse than a slide that lacks contrast. Text clashes with images and backgrounds and makes it hard to read. Your Keynote slide background color needs to harmonize with the content.
That's why contrast is king. With slides like the example below, dark text on light backgrounds (or vice versa) keeps everything readable and easy to browse.
5. Try Templates From Other Apps
Keynote has its presentation format. But with a bit of help, it can also work with other apps. That includes PowerPoint presentations. To tap into a PowerPoint presentation for a Keynote background choice, try importing one.
Use the tutorial below to try out PowerPoint templates in Keynote. You might be surprised at how well they work:
- Microsoft PowerPointHow to Convert PowerPoint (PPTX) for Mac Keynote PresentationsAndrew Childress
Design a Keynote Presentation With Eye-Catching Backgrounds Today
You saw 20 free options in this tutorial that help you create your presentation at no cost. With the help of templates and tips, balance content and background graphics perfectly.
Use these Keynote presentation backgrounds to create a great presentation! No matter which option you choose, make sure to use a great background to match your content.
Editorial Note: Our staff updates this post regularly—adding cool (new) Keynote presentation themes with cool backgrounds.
Envato Tuts+ tutorials are translated into other languages by our community members—you can be involved too!Translate this post